Wonderful Houses came in the mail yesterday and we read the first half for bedtime. We all like the pictures, diagrams and descriptions.
It’s funny, we just finished a book called Bringer of the Mystery Dog by Ann Nolan Clark. It describes life in a nomadic Native American Plains tribe. It dovetails nicely into the description of the yurts and life on the Mongolian plains. The kids love the idea of cook fires made from Buffalo and horse “chips” and of the whole family in the same room.
We’re a family of 5 and live in a small space (1000 sq. ft.) and love your idea of “scaling it back.” I first picked up a copy of Shelter in 2012 at Mollusk in SF. I used it and Tiny Homes and Small Homes for inspiration while renovating an 875 sq. ft. house in Silver Terrace that we lived in for 7 years. I used to bike past the “pink” house on Hampshire that you featured in one of your other books. We’re now in Mill Valley and I can’t wait for the next fixer to start in on.
Thanks for publishing great books!
–Jason, Elliott, Marlon & Jane of the Dubaniewicz family in Mill Valley
Advanced Search (single or combined)
- Why You Should Forget What You Think You Know About Housing in L.A. May 17, 2023
- The Owl House May 12, 2023
- Jorge Luis Borges Speaks on Why He Prefers to Read in English May 11, 2023
- Clothing for the Ridiculously Rich May 9, 2023
- Cabins of the Yukon May 4, 2023
- Timber Framers in UK April 21, 2023
- 63-Year-Old Badass Skate Mom from Santa Cruz April 19, 2023
- 100-Year-Old Concrete Post and Beam Framing April 18, 2023
- Japan Has Millions of Empty Houses. Want to Buy One for $25,000? April 17, 2023
- Laurel and Hardy April 16, 2023
- The Red Rockers’ Dome Commune in Colorado in the ’70s April 14, 2023
- Mortise and Tenon Attic April 12, 2023
- Two Bows, No Sterns April 5, 2023
- Interview in The Last Straw Magazine April 3, 2023
- Solar Biodiesel Land Rover with Handmade Cab and Fenders March 31, 2023
- Signs – Photographs by Richard Blair March 30, 2023
- Whatever Happened to Geodesic Domes? March 29, 2023
- 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Van March 27, 2023
- Into the Storm March 10, 2023
- A Round Barn Rises in Rural America March 10, 2023
- Tiny Home Caboose for Sale March 7, 2023
- Antartica March 6, 2023
- Victoria Spivey – T B Blues March 3, 2023
- American Folk Blues Festival Live, Bremen, Germany, 1963 March 2, 2023
- Man, 89, built his own ‘Hobbit House’ in Highlands where he lives almost entirely off-grid February 24, 2023
- Chris Noto on 100-Year-Old Concrete Post and Beam Framing
- Rick Gordon on Why You Should Forget What You Think You Know About Housing in L.A.
- Wilson Hughes on Why You Should Forget What You Think You Know About Housing in L.A.
- Eldri on The Owl House
- Maria on The Owl House
- Ken on The Owl House
- Klaas on Clothing for the Ridiculously Rich
- Ken on Clothing for the Ridiculously Rich
- Crowldawg on Clothing for the Ridiculously Rich
- eldri on Clothing for the Ridiculously Rich
- Anon on Laurel and Hardy
- Anon on 63-Year-Old Badass Skate Mom from Santa Cruz
- lala buckstar on Slipform Concrete Walls in Nevada
- Quail333 on The Red Rockers’ Dome Commune in Colorado in the ’70s
- s.e. charles on Whatever Happened to Geodesic Domes?
- Bil King on Whatever Happened to Geodesic Domes?