Wooden Chapel on the Site of Old Belozersk. First mentioned in Russian chronicles for the year 862 A.D., the town of Belozersk or “White Lake” was abandoned and relocated several times. The original settlement, commemorated here by a small nineteenth-century wooden chapel, was on the north side of the White Lake in north central European Russia.
Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii.
A Chapel on the Site Where the Old City of Belozersk Stood, 1909.
Digital color rendering
This is from: https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/architecture.html.
The whole digitized collection of thousands of photos can be found at https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire
Sent us by Kevin Kelly