The first Cliff House was built at Ocean Beach in San Francisco in 1863. On Christmas day, 1894, it burned to the ground. Mayor Adolph Sutro had it redesigned by architects (as a “…large and pretty chateau”) and it was rebuilt in 1895 in its above reincarnation. This building lasted until 1907, when it burned to the ground. In 1909 a 3rd, much plainer version was built. This was remodeled several times, the latest in 2003, and the present version is disappointingly soulless and has none of the character or charm of its predecessors.
Hundreds of photos are at: https://www.cliffhouseproject.com/introduction.htm