Gopher-proof raised garden bed

2 rows of concrete blocks stacked on layer of ¼-inch mesh, filled with soil

17 Responses to Gopher-proof raised garden bed

1. vcsnover says:

Hey Lloyd, a little off topic, but have you ever run the Angel Island trail 1/2 marathon? It's August 28th this year. I am going to be in California for my first time ever for an Army National Guard school at Camp Parks (I live in West Virginia), and I am planning on running in it. I would be thrilled to meet you if you are around then. Victor Snover

2. Anonymous says:

hey Lloyd, how do you keep the deer and rabbits from eating your garden?

3. Lloyd Kahn says:

Fences all around property.

4. Anonymous says:

ah, yes, fences would do it. we live in the city, and there is huge cross city park blocks away. we actually leave our side gate open, (on purpose for deer), and have the deer/pheasants/etc going back and forth in our yard. Usually they don't each much garden/trees – usually just grass. but this year they have started to take an interest. of course we could close the gate but, we love to watch them so close. (thought maybe you had a trick)

5. Anonymous says:

What is the size of this raised bed? how many blocks were used?

6. Lloyd Kahn says:

48 blocks, approx. 4' by 13'.

7. Where can we purchase raised garden beds ?

8. Anonymous says:

Did you use mortar between the blocks?

9. Sheri says:

Lloyd would you use the blocks if you were to do it again or wood? I need 7, 16 X 4 beds and 7 4 X 4 beds. Trying g to decide on cedar or block. Any leaching of chemicals from the blocks. Any down side?

10. Lloyd Kahn says:

Both work fine. No leaching. I think I'd do wood.

11. sandy girl says:

Can you tell me how many blocks I would need for a 3' by 104" and the other side has a 5 1/2" wooden beam in the middle of it. Would 3 fit the 3' area?

12. sandy girl says:

How long and wide are the blocks?

13. Lloyd Kahn says:

Sandy, standard concrete blocks, 8" x 8" x 15-1/2" each

14. Pingback: 14 Cinderblock Garden Ideas For Your Veggies, Flowers and Succulents - Homesteading Alliance

15. Pingback: 14 Cinderblock Garden Ideas For Your Veggies, Flowers and Succulents - Bienvenue